Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Music Isn't Ever Created, Just Borrowed and Improved Upon

Coldplay's frontman Chris Martin once said, "I don’t think you can say we’re that original. I regard us as being incredibly good plagiarists.”

I imagine he was just trying to be clever, but quite a few people got upset about that soundbite. Coldplay even got slapped on the wrist for copyright infringement later.

But if you play an instrument, you know what I'm talking about. John Mayer takes licks from old Clapton recordings, which Clapton had taken from Robert Johnson in the first place. As for Robert Johnson? He sold his soul to the devil, apparently. Whether you believe in the superstitious part of the 27 Club or not, this site says a Liverpool University found that musicians more frequently at age 27 than any other age.

I couldn't find the original study, but I find myself believing it regardless. Musicians are young, hip, and often iconoclastic. 27 seems the right age at which this personality starts to clash with the fact that they're getting older. The resultant emotional instability might be just enough to send a wild rock & roller to party just a little too hard -- and choke on his vomit like Morrison or Hendrix. Whereas the deaths of those two were never proved to be resultant of emotional stress, you have guys like Kurt Cobain.

Anyways, the 27 Club made damn good music. Here's a song to commemorate them. It's one of my favorites:

No comments:

Post a Comment